Friday 3 May 2013

Ice-Cream Sundae Quilt


Lately, I have been entirely obsessed with ice-cream sundaes, milkshake parlours, anything involving vanilla, whipped cream, chocolate sauce and cherries on top. I mostly blame Joy the Baker. Her happy hour hot fudge milkshake totally inspired this colour palette. I still haven't actually make the milkshake, but I have finished the baby quilt, and I have an ongoing hexy project in these fabrics in progress.


The ice-cream sundae baby quilt is made from 4" squares in a variety of raspberry pink, cherry red, sky blue,  vanilla and chocolate brown fabrics. With just a touch of electric-banana citrine. I used lots of favourites, and will definitely be revisiting this palette again soon.


Fabrics featured include lots of Denyse Schmidt prints (from Flea Market Fancies, Chicopee and Shelbourne Falls), Lizzie House Pearl Bracelets, Sketch, Architextures, Madrona Road and Nicey Jane. Binding is Bonnie and Camille Marmalade stripe in Blueberry. Though it is more of an aqua blue than blueberry toned.


I quilted this little quilt in a clamshell pattern using my walking foot. I'm pretty impressed by how it turned out. It was a bit tricksy to quilt curves this way, but my free-motion quilting isn't quite up to scratch yet. Quilting (and piecing) thread is aurifil 50wt in white. I used warm and white cotton bating.


Quilt back is mostly Moda Bella Solid in natural (a perfect vanilla ice-cream neutral) with a strip of patchwork in the fabrics used for quilt front.


Ice-cream sundae quilt is available here.

No comments:

Post a Comment